• question-icon

What causes sudden chest discomfort?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am experiencing chest discomfort if I go without food for too long. I have had a ?stomach ulcer (but not diagnosed) thought to be caused by NSAIDs, some years ago. I avoid NSAIDS. This sensation makes it feel quite unpleasant to bend down.
KH 52 female
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to gastritis or GERD

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Thank you.

Yes I have had a very stressful few days, I did wonder if that could make it worse. Very uncomfortable today, and feeling unusually tired despite sleeping fairly well.
Last night I did drink a couple of large glasses of wine..and now wondering if this is contributing.

I will take your advice to the letter.

Many thanks!
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol and stress are important contributors

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Alcohol and stress are important triggers for hyperacidity and gastritis. You therefore need to reduce both of them.

Feel free to write back.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha