What causes sudden back pain?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Back Pain
Question: There has been pain in the back all of a sudden. I was working in the kitchen. I am experiencing a significant amount of pain. I felt this same type of pain in the back of my body a month ago. Applying pain relieving cream worked back then. But what could be the cause of this?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to lumbar spine issues due to low calcium history

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems as if you have been facing issues relating to lower lumbar spine and may need to be radiographed with a lumbar spine Xray or MRI if Xray is not suggestive, to look for any reduced disc space or nerve entrapment or muscle sprain.

The likely cause in your case can be low calcium which can cause osteoporosis and lead to soft bones. Using supplements for calcium, vitamin D3, and bisphospanates may be needed for long term control.

At the moment using OTC analgesics like acetaminophen alongwith muscle relaxants like orphenidrine or tizanidine will be helpful. If medical therapy is aided with physiotherapy it would be more helpful for a better recovery and long term rehabilitation.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj