What causes sudden and persistent vomiting in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 8 year old daughter has thrown up 3 times tonight. She does not have a fever but she is not able to keep food or drink down. What can I do to help her
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your child's problem seems to be due to gastritis. It could be due to a long gap between meals which would essentially lead to accumulation of stomach acids (which are meant to help in digestion but the food simply does not come). The excess acids thereby collect and irritate the stomach walls which leads to throwing up. This is therefore caused due to the injury caused by stomach acids. Needless to say that it also affects the appetite.

In order to provide relief, you need to ask for the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Give Lanzol Junior tablet (lansoprazole)/Nexium (esomeprazole) XXXXXXX once daily before breakfast.
* Give plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase the dietary fiber intake.
* Regular playing or exercise for at 1 hour a day to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Give curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng