• question-icon

What causes subconjunctival hemorrhage?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have an occasional problem with blood vessel bursting in my eye. Normally only my right eye. This time it started small and has gotten bad.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Subconjunctival hemorrhage

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us. Reviewed the image.

There are 3 aspects to your problem.The blood pipes may burst due to raised pressure, weak wall of vessels or medication.

Do you have blood pressure problem? If it is raised, it may lead to such issues. Please get your BP checked.This problem may also occur due to excessive strain or injury also.
Weakness of vessel wall my also occur in diabetes and I expect that you have your blood sugar checked.

There are various blood thining agents like aspirin and pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs which lead to such hemorrhage.

Other than keeping an eye on various factors I have highlighted, you can take Vitamin C 500 mg for about 3 to 4 weeks to help.

Any further query in this regard, please do get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 9 minutes later
I take BP meds daily and my BP is fine. No traumatic injuries. Do I need some drops of any kind?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sub conjunctival hemorrhage

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Good of you to get back to me.
It is good that you have proper control of BP.Continue with medication regularly.Vit.C is helpful in preventing recurrences.Astringent and lubricant eye drops are used,but the hemorrhage is absorbed by the body in about 10 days time as such does not need any medication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist