What causes strong urine odour?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My urine has developed a very strong odor, slight burning sensation when urinating. Urine sometimes has a slight milky color and the flow is not as free as it was previously? urinating more at night.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. Knox,

I recommend going in to either your doctor (if you can get in soon) or an urgent care clinic (today). You may have a urinary tract infection or prostatitis/prostate infection.

When you go in, they should get a urine specimen and then do an exam. The urine can be checked while you are there with a quick "dip stick urine" test which gives an idea of whether there is an infection.

The urine should be sent for a full urinalysis (urine study which can show signs of blood, sugar, infection, stones, kidney disorders). If it shows the possibility of infection, a culture and sensitivity test should be done. The culture shows what is causing the infection if present, the sensitivity shows what antibiotic would work best (with minimal bacterial resistance).

Other possibilities are, that the urethra is inflamed (various reasons - infection, irritation from passing stone or gravel, physical trauma), but this would not likely cause the strong odor.

I hope this information helps.
Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee