Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

What causes strong smelling urine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2013
Answered : 1242 Questions
my urine smells strongly of fish no symptoms
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It might be due to urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
I had gone through your query and understand your concern.

Sometimes it is difficult to say if the fish odor is from urine of from your vaginal secretions.
It might be due to an urinary tract infection or a vaginal infection (bacterial vaginosis).

I would suggest to consult a physician and get examined.
You may need an urinalysis to exclude urinary tract infection and a swab test of vaginal secretions to exclude a possible infection.

If these test result normal ,your doctor may order some other tests like Blood sugar , and kidney function tests to make sure everything is OK with you.

Some times ,dehydration can cause such odor in urine so try to drink plenty of water (at least 6-8 glasses a day).

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have additional questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to help.


Dr.Rovena Murati
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor