What causes strong smelling urine?

Question
my urine smells strongly of fish no symptoms
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It might be due to urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I had gone through your query and understand your concern.

Sometimes it is difficult to say if the fish odor is from urine of from your vaginal secretions.
It might be due to an urinary tract infection or a vaginal infection (bacterial vaginosis).

I would suggest to consult a physician and get examined.
You may need an urinalysis to exclude urinary tract infection and a swab test of vaginal secretions to exclude a possible infection.

If these test result normal ,your doctor may order some other tests like Blood sugar , and kidney function tests to make sure everything is OK with you.

Some times ,dehydration can cause such odor in urine so try to drink plenty of water (at least 6-8 glasses a day).

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have additional questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to help.

Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati