What causes strong pulsating sensations in the stomach?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I have a feeling of strong pulsating in the stomach area. It is not normal for me. It started at night and continues on and off during the day. I have no other symptoms, such as pain. Is it anything to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
need further investigations as well as clinical evaluation..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX, Welcome to HCM,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Now had this been experienced by you after dinner/ any certain meal / even after prolonged empty stomach, then it could've been attributed to the normal peristaltic movement of the bowels which can be felt occasionally like this, but from your description it's not like this..

It's most probably a conducted feeling of pulsation from the aorta some of which is right behind the stomach region, even this can be felt occasionally too, but in view of it's prolongation, I'd suggest you to schedule a short visit to your physician/ any cardiologist for a prompt clinical examination of the area and few basic necessary investigation (serial blood pressure recording, 12 lead EKG, Echocardiography and doppler study of the major vessels to rule out any underlying obstruction/ narrowing in the first place)..

It'll be even more relevant in case you've had any past/present history of vascular/cardiac concerns..

There are few other causes also, but let us determine the most relevant and most important cause as the first priority for further clarification..management will be entirely based on the finding, may be simple observation, but the exact cause is needed to be found at first..

Please get it done and let me know how you stay in the due course..

Let me know if there's any further queries, I'll be glad to clarify..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee