• question-icon

What causes stringy white substances in stool?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been passing weird seed like things in my stool over the past two months. It doesnt happen every time but i dont eat what im seeing. I was able to isolate one and on the inside was a stringy white substance. Im afraid for parasites. I dont have any other symptoms. I have had mild nausea and loose stools but its infrequent.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably worm infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.

As per your details most likely you are having worm infestation medically termed as parasitic infestation.A number of parasites like hook worm tape worm etc are there in human intestines.People are adviced to take anti helmenthics once every six month for deworming of body.
Due to lack of hygeine and improper deworming mamy times these parasites appears in stools.
Have gone through the photos if your stools and it looks like worm infestation.
I would suggest you to go for a stool microscopic investigation to rule out parasitic infestation.
Rx
Take Ivermentin tab once daily for 5 days with Tab albendazole 400 mg once daily.
This will help in deworming you.
Rest follow with investigation results.

Hope i answered your query well.
Follow ups are welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 17 hours later
Should i be concerned about any serious complications from this? I am going to the doctor this week.To my knowledge I might have had it for a couple months
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
hi again XXXX,
See presence of parasite or its eggs or larvae are suggestive of high concentration of them in intestines.Some times they may migrate to other organs like lungs or brains causing cysticercosis.
So though its not emergency but you should take deworming tablets soon to be on safe side.
One week time is ok!

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist