What causes stress and fatigue despite taking Zoloft?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Im recently coming through a long bout of anxiety. Im on 25mg of zoloft.

I have much less fear than before but i now feel just stressed and worn out all the time. As if i just had a long week of work. It doesnt pass with sleep and mornings are worse.

My therapist believes its part of the hesling process now that im not triggering fear, my body is expressing how stimulated it had gotten with adrenaline and cortisol and itll jusr take time to return to normal health and yo expect to just suddenly feel refreshed is unrealistic.

Do you agree?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I do totally agree that your body is recovering from a long stretch of anxiety. It takes time for the body to adjust to feeling less anxious. The fact that you are less anxious so quickly is a good sign -- you will gradually feel better as time passes. Try to be patient through this difficult time, and you will feel better.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 7 minutes later
Hah. Thanks. I wouldnt say it was quick! It took a long time to overcome fear of symptoms. I thought id just slip into feeling normal. Im surprised at how weak and worn out i feel!!

How long does it take typically and do you suggest i resume mostly a normal life despite the feelings? Typically when someone feels like this they rest but, i dont want to rest indefinitely.

I saw your web address but do i have to pay another $34 to talk to you there?

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I see! I am glad you're feeling better despite the long struggle. I would say it usually takes several weeks (4-8 weeks) to feel totally back to normal again. I do suggest you engage back into normal life immediately, as engaging in activities will drastically speed up your recovery.

Yes, the fee is $34 for a private consultation.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 hours later
XXXXXXX Thanks.

So... in this recovery process... is it normal for my emotions to feel off? I kinda just feel a bit disconnected and weird now that theres less anxiety. It feels like sometimes i feel nothing and its a bit of a rollercoaster. Like i know how i should feel and i act that way but i dont quite feel it clicking.

Maybe those connections just need to strengthen again after about 2 years of just always feeling anxious and adrenalized.

It feels like i forgot how to feel at peace .
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
This is a normal reaction. It will take some time to get used to a new state of being. I recommend weekly supportive psychotherapy to help you adjust.