What causes strep throat and bad rash all over body in children?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: My 4 year daughter was treated for strep throat last week and on day 8 of the amoxicillian she woke up with a bad rash all over her body. The pediatrician told me to stop the antibiotic and gave me a steroid to give her. Here is my question, last week when she was first diagnosed with strep she had extremely large lymph nodes in her neck and they are still enlarged. Now she gets the amoxicillian rash, I've read these could be signs of lukemia in children and I'm extremely worried that my doctors don't want to do more. Shouldn't they run a blood test? Also they do want to see her back in a couple of weeks to check her lymph node again. I'm worries that there is something more going on and we are just wasting time.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No infection is more likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

I suggest you to not think on the extreme end. As you told that your child had Streptococcus throat infection and during treatment with amoxicillin she got drug reaction. This can be possible. The most common cause of enlarged lymph nodes is infection which will resolve with proper treatment.Strep causes throat sore, red throat, sometimes with white spots on the tonsils and often causes Scarlet fever in which an illness that causes a red rash on the body. Your doctor has rightly stopped the antibiotics and started steroids. You must trust the treatment. You can get ASO quantification done and blood culture sensitivity if fever persists. Do not read unnecessary website. I suggest you must get treatment done under the guidance of paediatrician. As of now there are no such absolute symptoms or tests which are definitive for leukemia which is too unlikely. She must be treated for infection and if after few weeks it no improvement occurs she will need few more tests.

Hope I answered your query.
If no clarifications then you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.
Dr. Sheetal Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist