What causes strange taste in mouth and sleeplessness?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: For the past few days it seems as if I ingested the muscle pain relief medication, icy hot. I have been getting this sensation inside my chest area feels like over my entire body. I am even left with a strange taste in my mouth. Today its getting more pronounced and I am unable to sleep tonight. I laid down and I felt as if I was somewhat smothering. I am very focused on this sensation and its bothersome. I feel as if I am breathing a little bit of a chemical. My mouth has this sensation also. I have felt this sensation before over the years but the symptoms would disappear. I am getting strange sensations down my extremities also. I am uncomfortable.
I am in menopause now as well. Again, I have had these symptoms before but they went away. Very strange sensation. At times it seems more pronounced then other times today. Seems as if I can feel in my back, neck, across chest internally and externally.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post memopausal symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The symptoms described are suggestive of post menopausal state. These are hot flushes, Irritability, loss of sleep and so on.
You may have plenty of fluid along with Ibuprofen. If there is no Improvement in symptoms may contact a specialist (Gynaecologist)
Do you have any fever or joint pain?
Looking forward to your reply.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 24 minutes later
Thank you. I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach. Hard to lay Down feel like I'm going to smother. My chest feels like it's burning at times. I do have anxiety at times.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs physical examination to find the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It’s good to see you
You are welcome. I have gone through your reply carefully and though I am sure your symptoms are related to your menopausal state. Having said that you must get a physical examination in form of blood pressure, chest examination and routine blood work to rule out any hidden cause.
For time being you may have prescription only drugs like-
1 omeprazole (Omez),Digene gel to take care of stomach and chest discomfort.
2. For anxiety and loss of sleep alprazolam will help.
Hope this answers your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Thank you doctor. Interestingly I do have joint pain. I assumed it is arthritis. I do exercise. I feel a lot of fatigue but I still keep going. I have no known chronic illness at this time. But I highly suspect at times I have fibromyalgia. I have all of the symptoms including this weird sensation now. I've been in pain for many years and called a hypochondriac by family members because I am just wondering what is wrong with me and why I have pain all over my body and very stiff in mornings and when I sit for prolonged. I know it hard to diagnosis and I need a full examine as you prescribed. Unfortunately, I do not have health care at this time and wont have access until this upcoming December. Obama health plan has done nothing to help me and I wonder if anybody is getting any help with that no well thought out plan.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hello
You are welcome. I have gone through your reply carefully and joint’s pain, fibromyalgia, as you rightly said needs physical examination along with blood work. Morning stiffness and pain after rest are suggestive of inflammatory cause affecting joints and other body tissue.
Do you have family history of multiple joint pains?
You may continue the exercise schedule as usual and have plenty of fluid. To reduce early morning stiffness you may do exercises before getting out of bed in the morning.
Looking forward to your reply. Do not lose hope and be positive.