Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

What causes strange altered sensation in one side of the body?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5555 Questions
What could be making one side of my body feel weird ? Could anxiety cause this? My right cheek, right arm, and right leg have strange altered sensation that comes and goes. It often gets worse when i focus on it but it disappears completely especially if im busy. I saw a neurologist who told me my neuro assessment is normal. I had a brain mri that showed no abnormality except for a small pineal cyst. MRI was also of cervical spine and was normal. All lab studies are normal. I do have a history of anxiety and panic disorder. Could it be psychological even if its only one sided ? What else could this be ? Help !
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. One-sided symptoms generally point to a pathology on the opposite side of brain. So, in your case, it is suggestive of left hemispheric (left side of brain) lesion. However, normal MRI of brain rules out the above possibility. In the presence of normal MRI, the only possibility left out is a partial sensory seizure, which could produce symptoms similar to yours. This can be confirmed or excluded by doing an EEG (electroencephalography). If EEG comes out as normal, then, your symptoms could be due to psychological reasons. In any case, there is no need to worry, as normal MRI of brain and cervical spine, in addition to a normal neurological examination, rules out any serious neurological disease. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor