What causes strained feeling in jaw after quitting smoking?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Dental Health
Question: i feel like my jaw is strained, I can not say it hurts because it does not , buts I just feels type of heavy, but it does not feel like that everyday. its mostly the bottom part of my jaw. some days it goes away and sometimes its stays mot of the day with that sensation. I quit smoking about a month ago, so a dentist told me maybe it might be me grinding my teeth while I sleep to cope with the stress. not to sure what to do, please help me.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion , you are going through nicotine-withdrawal-symptoms .

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query and understand your concern.

In my opinion , you are going through nicotine-withdrawal-symptoms which is seen upto 8-12 weeks after quieting smoking .

Common withdrawal symptoms seen are
Feelings of being an infant
Insomnia
Mental confusion
Vagueness
Irritability
Anxiety
Depression

I agree with your dentist , it might be because of grinding of teeth while sleeping due to withdrawal symptoms.

If I were your treating Doctor for this case , I would advice you
take the help of psychologist to deal with nicotine-withdrawal-symptoms .

You will be fine .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist