What causes stoomach bloating,gas and acid reflux?

Posted on Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor, It has started unexpectedly couple of weeks ago. I have already queried once on the same. You can read the same to understand my issue better. I had troat irritation inisially, now I am fine with that. Still I have a stomach problem. My stomach is bloated for some reason. I getting huge gas since fortnight and getting sour kind of water in my mouth. Feel like stomach is always filled. Sometimes I feel food is stuck in the troat itself. Otherwise I dont have any problem such as chest pain etc... Pleae help me. Thank you. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 41 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. The symptoms you have mentioned are suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is a condition in which the stomach contents reflux back in to the foodpipe causing symptoms. Medications and lifestyle changes would provide relief. Medications like esomeprazole along with levosulpiride would provide relief. Discuss with your doctor about these medications and for prescription. Lifestyle/dietary modifications include the following - 1. Weight reduction if obese 2. Avoid smoking/alcohol ( if you have these habits) 3. Avoid coffee, citrus, tomatoes, fatty food, onion, garlic, mint, spicy food 4. Do not eat full stomach. Eat smaller frequent meals 5. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food. You have mentioned you have bloated tummy also. Get blood glucose level checked. Also get tested for H.pylori infection. The above mentioned medications would provide relief from abdominal bloating also. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist