What causes stomach upset while on Janumet XR?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Diabetes
Question: DID YOU GET MY QUESTION ABOUT JANUMET XR OR DID IT GET LOST WHILE I WAS CHANGING MY PASSWORD? I'M TIRED OF REPEATING MYSELF, BUT HERE WE GO AGAIN
SEE BELOW I HAVE REPEATED MY QUESTION, BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE CHARGED TWICE FOR THE SAME QUESTION.
I UPDATED PROFILE INFOR SO PLEASE LOOK AT IT.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both have metformin

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
The fact remains that in your case the problem is persistent because Janumet also contains metformin.
Metformin cause gastric side effects including pain.
So basically the problem causing medicine is not withdrawan.
Usually people so get used to metformin but it takes time.
If you want to continue with the tablet it's better to take it before food.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem.

Best of luck. Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 7 hours later
By "it's better to take it before food" do you mean immediately while he is sitting at the table with dinner in front of him? Or is half-hour before dinner the same? He has been taking them after eating a meal, with a small amount of liquid, then has coffee after dinner. Thank you for your advice. I am trying to help my husband adjust to these medicine changes. Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Before food

Detailed Answer:
I ideally prefer to prescribe it half hour before food.
But some people develop hypoglycaemia on the regime.
That's despite the fact that the medicine is not supposed to cause hypoglycaemia.
And the reason usually is an unexpected delay in eating food.
So immediately before food is also fine.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T