Pain likely due to worm infestation
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms XXXXXXX
As your daughter is already 5 year old its advisable to stop breast feeding her. It does not support the nutrition required by child of 5 years of age and it just causes satiety.
Commonest causes of intermittent pain in children in this age group is
1. Worm Infestation
I would suggest you the following which will empirically address both the issue and will also be beneficial to the baby on long run. If the pain in abdomen is not associated with fever
or weight loss
then there is no much cause for concern.
1. Empirically treatment with single dose of antihelminthic Tablet
or Syrup Albendazole
400 mg one single dose one time
2. Ensure good intake of water: Follow rule of one. 1 cup of water one hour before and one hour after food. This will ensure adequate intake of water and will also ensure adequate nutrition and avoid consumption of water during meals.
3. Avoid: Oily, Spicy and fast foods especially burger, pizza. Also avoid food stuff containing maida (refined wheat flour). Maida is known to provoke colicky abdominal pain
especially widely used Parle G and other biscuits. They also cause constipation.
4. High fiber diet: two serving of vegetable salad and whole fruits everyday. Avoid fruit juice, instead allow whole fruits.
5. At time of pain 1/4 tablet of buscopan
can be given.
These will definitely help.
Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.
Wishing your daughter a happy and healthy life.
Dr Deepak Kishore
MBBS, MS, MCH
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon