What causes stomach pain when i miss a meal?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello,

I seem to have a problem with my stomach hurting quite badly when I miss a meal, and then eat again. For example with a busy life I can sometimes miss lunch, then when I get to dinner my stomach starts cramping over after eating. I do get gassy as well but the only way it goes away is once I sleep and wake in the morning feeling more normal again.

I also get this effect in my stomach when I eat oily foods, particularly fried foods which I don't eat very often, but when I do it feels just awful afterwards.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peptic ulcer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are quite characteristic for peptic ulcer. Depending of the ulcer location (duodenum or stomach) the pain appears after a meal or when the stomach is empty. You may have nausea with the pain and lack of appetite. The pain is usually localized on the upper middle abdomen.
If your pain radiates to the back, gallstones should be also considered.

I suggest you to have proper diagnostic. Abdominal ultrasound and blood work should be done at first. If nothing will be found (what is also characteristic for an ulcer), gastroscopy should be next.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee (very important), chocolate, orange juices.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.