What causes stomach pain, nausea and diarrhea after a colonoscopy?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: My husband had a colonoscopy 10 days ago. He did not have any pain until 3 days after. Progressively his pain has gotten worse. He has passed gas and had bowel movements since the procedure. He has had nausea and diarrhea since the procedure as well. I am not sure how to proceed. Should we call his doctor or is this normal? I should mention that he has been laying down in the fetal position for a few hours now because of the pain.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not normal:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

None of the symptoms you are describing are normal or expected after a colonoscopy. Either he picked up an infection during the procedure, or has developed an inflammatory process from the prep.

I am particularly concerned when you say that his pain has gotten progressively worse and that he is now in a fetal position from pain. I think, given the degree of pain, you should take him in to the ER where they can do an abdominal exam, get a CBC for signs of infection, get an abdominal Xray for evidence of air in the abdomen, and possibly other imaging studies. They may also want to get a stool culture.

You may want to call the doctor on call for the gastroenterologist who did the colonoscopy to let him/her know the situation, but I think your husband should be seen in the ER tonight.

I hope he is soon feeling better. If you wish, you can let me know how he is doing after he has been evaluated.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
Thank you I will see what happens at the ER
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Good luck.

Detailed Answer:
I hope you get some answers.

B. Berger-Durnbaugh, MD