What causes stomach pain left of navel?
Diverticulitis should be ruled out
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
This could be related to the colon or ureter. Diverticulitis should be ruled out primarily in lower left abdominal pain taking into consideration your age. If suspected on clinical exam and history , a CT scan can be advised for the diagnosis. Diverticulitis is inflammation of one or more diverticular pouches due to herniation of mucosa into the colonic wall. Mild cases can subside with bed rest, diet modification that involves a clear liquid diet and antibiotics. More serious cases may require surgery. Intestinal obstruction and any signs of peritonitis should be looked for in the physical exam. The TLC ( Total Leucocyte Count ) is often a clue towards the diagnosis in such conditions and should be ordered as part of the complete blood count and routine chemistry. A Urinary tract stone and infection, both can also lead to lower left abdominal pain. A urine R/E ( Routine Exam ) should be done to look for pus cells, leucocytes or RBCs. An Ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis or X ray KUB can be advised in this regard. If none of the above are found to be the cause then constipation could be another common cause and should be relieved by advising a stool softener with a pro kinetic drug. Diet modification that involves adequate water, increased fiber intake ( Ispaghula Husk ) should also be advised.
Wishing you best of health
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What can cause stomach pain
- What causes stomach pain and spottting
- What causes stomach pain and vomiting
- What is the cause for stomach pain and diarrhea
- Left lower stomach pain causes
- What is the cause for stomach pain with bleeding
- What causes severe stomach pain above the navel
- What causes left sided stomach pain
- What causes stomach pain constantly
- What causes persistent stomach pain
- What causes weight gain inspite of being on Effexor for depression?
- What does twinging sensation in and around stomach indicate?
- Suggest treatment for pressure under lower left rib cage
- Suggest treatment for scleroderma
- Is Stematil safe with Sertraline?
- What causes low MPV?
- Does drinking excess water lead to reduced kidney function?
- Does Claritin Redi medication cause lymphadenopathy?
- Can hepatitis-C be contracted through a cut wound in the hand?
- What causes numbness in legs and face after taking steroid injections in...