What causes stomach pain followed by diarrhea and vomiting?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello, my girlfriend is 32 years of age. She recently had bad stomach pain which caused vomiting and diarrea. The Diarrea and vomiting have gone away but for the past couple of days she can't get out of bed do to extreme pain under left breast between the breast and her armpit. I would take her to the ER but neither of us have insurance here since we are visiting the United States and can't afford the crazy prices that medical attention costs here without insurance. Please help, i can't see her in pain anymore. Is it possible she has a gas trapped? I already gave her heart burn medication and peptobismol. But she is still really bad after 2 days. She isn't short of breath or anything. She breathes normally. Could it be heart problem? Should I take her to ER even though it will cost me every penny?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
looks like acute gastritis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Your girlfriends seemscto be having acute gastritis following the gastroenteritis (food poisoning). The poisoning has gone but the gastritis is still there.

I usually start my patients with similar complaints on ppi tablets like pantaprazole or omeprazole on empty stomach one hour before food. I think omeprazole is available over the counter as prilosec OTC. You can try this before going to the ER.

And i would advice you the same. Give her the tablets twice a day for a week then switch to once a day. You can stop peptobusmol.

Also avoid tea, coffee, soda drinks and spicy foods.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad