What causes stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting?

Posted on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What would cause intense pain, diarrhea and vomiting always in the middle of the night. It happens frequently. Some of the symptoms are consistent, others sporadic. I've had this off and on for years and it seems to be more frequent. The pain is so intense, I break out in a sweat, get lightheaded and my hands get tingly. Sometimes I get both diarrhea/nausea and sometimes I get one or the other-but always pain. Most of the time the pain comes in waves enough to begin to wake me up. Then the pain increases in intensity consistently-I can feel it move down lower in my body. When it's over , it completely goes away. Takes 20-30 minutes?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need more information

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
I am Dr Rakesh Sharma answering your query.
I can understand your concern.
To give you useful answer please furnish following information,
1.What is the frequency of this episode, that is how many times in a week it happens?
2.How many times you have to go to toilet, when it happens.
3.If the stool is loose,like water , semisolid or solid.
4.Do you think it happens only on nights when you eat some specific food.
5.Do you pass stool after this episode again in the morning or any time of the day?
6.Are you taking any medicine for any other ailment? specially at night.
If any extra information you think may be useful for me to answer.
Waiting for your reply.
good wishes.

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Sharma 34 minutes later
1. About three times in the last week. In the past it has been as often as once a week, and sometimes, once a month - or months in between.
2. I go maybe twice to the toilet when it begins, and then back once more - usually diarrhea then. Last night - no diarrhea at all.
3. Stool is like water for diarrhea, soft when it begins. Like everything is just getting out of there. Last night it was soft - no diarrhea.
4. I haven't been able to identify certain foods that would cause this. I've been told it sounds like food poisoning, but my husband and I eat same things at the same restaurants at night, and at home for dinner.
5. Next morning stool seems back to normal
6. I take a generic form of Unisom (~38 mg Doxylamine Succinate tablets) at night to help me sleep. I have had these episodes before I began taking this at night.
7. It seems to happen between 1:00 and 3:00 in the a.m. when this happens - no matter when I've eaten.
8. There have been expisodes where I have the pain (I can feel it moving down through my intestines) and then I get diarrhea, but no nausea. Then it's gone.
Brief Answer:
Gluten or lactose intolerance.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for prompt and detailed reply.
I have gone through your statement, it seems this can be
1.Gluten allergy
2. Or lactose intolerance.
Since there is currently no blood test for gluten sensitivity, the only way to be diagnosed is to undergo the screening and diagnostic tests required to confirm celiac disease.
Similarly you can get yourself tested for lactose intolerance. There are tests available for that.
Try gluten and lactose free diet for about two weeks and see the results.
You can also consult a doctor or/and a dietitian for the same.
Hope I have answered your query, if any thing else,you are welcome or you can close the question by rating the answer.
Good wishes.
Thank you so much Dr. XXXXXXX I will follow your suggestions and let you know.
Is XXXXXXX a common name in India? My children grew up playing the violin (same music teacher) with a XXXXXXX family in Camarillo, California. Both parents were physicians.
Wonderful family.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Sharma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sharma is a surname.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
I will eagerly wait for your reply.
Sharma is surname. This is why it seems common, and yes all sharmas are wonderful.
Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Sharma 13 minutes later
I debated whether to use the word 'common' - we use that same phrase for names in the U.S. for example: XXXXXXX I didn't mean 'ordinary' in any sense!
You don't have to reply :-)
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Sharma 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No I did not take it otherwise.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.
Sorry I have to reply this, because the software is such that it will show and keep on reminding me that there is a follow up query.
Well I did not take your 'common' , otherwise,
I just mentioned, that all sharmas are wonderful.
Good luck.
Dr. Rakesh Sharma