What causes stomach pain despite taking Proto, Zantac and Carafate?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Pain Management
Question: ok its Saturday night. ive had an ulcer before. been taking lots of pain meds also past 5 days ive had a agravating increasing pain in stomach treated that w Pepto, Zantac,carafate pain has increased steadily so today pain is badddd! nothing is helping the pain Last meal was 1:00 a quater of hamburger and had to stop eating what else can i take or do til i see doctor
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to see a doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic.
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
As per your description it seems that you are having severe gastritis arising out of pre existing peptic ulcer disease. Since the pain is intolerable it is better to seek medical advise. As pain is not controlled by routine drugs, you need to take intravenous drugs. IV pantoprazole may be needed.
Other drugs like sucralfate also needed.
There is a chance for ulcer perforation, so it is always better to consult a doctor rather than self treatment.
Once the pain subsided other investigations like endoscopy may be needed.
Wishing you good health
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng