• question-icon

What causes stomach pain, cramping and blood in stool?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Stomach has hurt since yesterday morning, and I've been crappng nothing but blood since yesterday afternoon. What could this possibly be? I drank some baking soda in water thinking bad stomach, but then nothing but blood. Very bright red and like gelled in toilet. Just as much pain and blood his morning.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Go to ER for clinical evaluation, investigations and management.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate:
Female/49 - have been on steroids, muscle relaxers and hydrocodone for back issue for a month - stomach ache since yesterday morning crapping nothing but blood since yesterday afternoon - very bright red and like jelled in toilet - just took baking soda -

The most probable causes can be as follows:
Since you are on the medicines mentioned, one or more of them can cause such complications.
There can be ulceration of the rectum or colon or stomach or intestines.
Hence I would advise you to undergo upper GI and colonoscopy ASAP to see for the source of bleeding and to get treated properly if need be endoscopically.
Also to undergo the tests of blood, urine and stool.
Additional treatment as per the severity of the symptoms, signs and reports.
I would advise you to go to ER to get a clinical evaluation, investigations and further management as may be needed.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early diagnosis and proper management.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon