What causes stomach pain, bloating and fever?

Posted on Wed, 16 Nov 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been having stomach pains and bloating since Monday with accompanying fever. I have a history of small intestine damage due to infection when I was young. This has resulted in multiple bowel obstructions in the last 10 years, one of which a few years ago resulted in surgery. The stomach pains and symptoms were very similar to a bowel obstruction Monday. By Tuesday AM the pain became less and I started having bowel movements but bloating and fever has been constant. I am treating the fever with Tylenol and Aleve. Since fever and bloating are still present as of now (Weds eve) I want to check in and ask at what point to I go to the hospital that has treated my bowel obstructions. Could this be related or is it most likely just a stomach bug?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Abdominal tenderness and bloody stools call for attention.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I clearly understand your query. Intestinal obstruction is usually associated with blood stained stool on one side and severely tender (to touch) and bloated abdomen. If you develop any of these you should seek medical assistance.

The present episode could indeed be due to an intestinal infection. I would insist you to take ORS (oral rehydration solution) to make up for the fluid and salt loss.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. REMY KOSHY
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha