• question-icon

What causes stomach pain and weakness despite having I pill post intercourse?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I had unprotected intercourse with the pull out method on 21 mar and took ipill after 35 hours. My last period was 12 Mar and ended on 16 mar.. Now m experiencing stomach ache and weakness.. What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query.
I understand your concern.

If your monthly cycles are regular and you had this month's period, then this can not be pregnancy. Kindly do not worry about pregnancy is ruled out.
This could be due to simple Gastritis. I would suggest you to take Proton pump inhibitors like Tab Omeprazole 20mg, one tablet daily , 1 hr before food.
Continue this for 15 days and you will see some improvement in stomach ache.

If weakness is there since long time, its better to check your Haemoglobin percentage, because it could be due to anemia. If there is anemia it can be treated with iron supplements. So don't worry.

If your stomach ache persists even after this, kindly consult your Gastroenterologist for detailed examination.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Deepak.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 16 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Is this a side effect of I-pill? Also I was having UTI from 25 mar evening. So I was on medication till today. Are you sure pregnancy is ruled out. I have a 28 day cycle on period.
Answered by Dr. Deepak 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a side effect of I-pill

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.
Thank you for follow up query.

This is not a side effect of i-pill. Usually i-pill may produce variation in menstruation in next 2-3 cycles as a side effect.
You had unprotected sex after 5 days of period which come under SAFE period. There is very less chance of pregnancy if you have unprotected sex during this period. But this calendar method is highly unpredictable.
Also you took i-pill within 72 hours which can prevent unnecessary pregnancy.
If you still have any doubt, you can always take Urine pregnancy test if you miss your next period ( less likely to happen).

Your symptoms are more probably due to Gastritis as there is history of medication which may have produced erosion in gastric mucosa.
Kindly take medications for gastritis as advised in previous query. You will see improvement.

Take care,Bye.
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 24 hours later
Thanks doctor. My stomach ache is gone. but I am feeling pain in my legs and bitter mouth. The confusion is caused by goggling stuff online. All of this indicated pregnancy signs. Also, it says a 10 days after the period start indicated fertile period and a sperm can stay for 2-3 days. Which brings us to the day in ques i.e. 22 March. But I had a pill and the ejaculation also was not done inside. The only doubt is for the pre-cum.

Could you please answer the queries.
Answered by Dr. Deepak 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not signs of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi.....
welcome back again.

Pain in legs and bitter mouth are not symptoms related to pregnancy. We are in the era of Evidence based medicine. Accordingly I didn't find any evidence of pregnancy yet. Pregnancy should be confirmed by serial Hcg values and Ultrasound, not by mere signs and symptoms.
I-pill should be taken within 72hrs of unprotecred sex (which you have followed).

Precum also contains sperms in small amount.
Don't worry as you gave taken emergency pill.

I will suggest you to patiently wait for your next period. Internet feeds you lot of unwanted information many of which don't have any evidence. If you miss it by any chance you can always take urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy. Pregnancy can be terminated by medications upto 5 weeks.

Emotional disturbance can cause variation in monthly period. Kindly do not get stressed as there is nothing to worry.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.
Take care ( not stress)!!
Bye.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepak