What causes stomach pain after using Amoxicillin?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello am always having stomach pain after using the amoxicillin what do you think i should do
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Amoxicilline can harm your stomach

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I'll be answering your questions.
One of the most common side effects of Amoxicillin is stomach upset.

It would be great if you could give me more information about why you are taking the Amoxicillin.

In my opinion we can do these steps:

- change the type of antibiotic. Now a days, there are a lot of other genre of antibiotics that can work even better than Amoxicillin.

- use a PPI/antacid (Omeprazole) to reduce the amount of acidity in your stomach while you are taking Amoxicillin (you might need to consult your physician for a prescription)

- always eat something before taking the antibiotic

- if the symptoms that you describe, happens even when you don't take Amoxicillin than probably you should consult with your gastroenterologist and probably get a esophagogastroscopy done.

For any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Endri Katro 15 hours later
Thanks for the note i am taking the drug for swelling gum
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can take a ppi to reduce the acidity of your stomach

Detailed Answer:
Hello back.

Amoxicilline is one of the best antibiotics for swelling gum but there are some other kind of antibiotics (cephalosporin for example) than give the same affect and upset the stomach less.

So as I mentioned above,you need to consult your caring doctor to either change the antibiotics,or to give you a prescription for PPI.

Also remember the advice that I gave you.Always eat something before taking the antibiotics.

If I helped you with my answers,please rate them/comment and close the query.

Regards.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj