What causes stomach pain after ectopic pregnancy removal?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,

My wife underwent a Laproscopy to clear ectopic pregnancy on the left fallopian tube 1.5 years back. THis is her 2nd pregnancy, First one was a Successful C section. Actual tube was not removed only the pregnancy remains were removed. After the surgery she is experiencing frequent stomach pain in the lower abdomen and groin. We tried to ignore the pain at first but went to see the Doctor after some persistent and intense pain in recent days, We went to see the doctor, And the Ultrasound done today didn't revel nothing abnormal.

The doctor said we can ignore the pain if it is bearable and may need to further evaluate if the pain is not manageable.

Question 1. What can be the cause of the pain?
2. Does she need to undergo any other examination like colonoscopy to determine the cause of the pain.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tubal contractions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for trusting health care magic.
The pain she is experiencing is most probably because of the mild contractions of the fallopian tubes to expel the remains of pregnancy which are though microscopic but always present.
These pains resemble after pains of delivery in which uterus contracts to expel remains of pregnancy.
It will be gone soon and till then she can take usual pain killers.
But in case pain persists even after a week then visit your doctor again for examination.
Another less common but important diagnosis can be adhesion formation which is pressing on some important viscera which will subside by itself in a week or two.
I wish her the best of health.