• question-icon

What causes stomach flu?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: and what about if you just getting over a stomach flu will this be a symptom or not something else ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the details of the complaints

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Stomach flu is usually due to gastroenteritis which in turn is comprised of gastritis (the stomach discomfort) and enteritis (loose stools). The cause is self limiting and unless there is blood in stool the cause does not need to be treated. The mainstay of treatment is proper hydration with ORS. You can take Imodium if you want. However, the complaints are expected to go on for a couple of days and you would need to be patient.

If you could elaborate upon the exact complaints I could guide you accordingly. However, in order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts.
* Take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps.
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 49 minutes later
will Loradaine work as pain medication
Brief Answer:
Loratidine is an antiallergic and not a pain medication.

Detailed Answer:

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha