What causes stomach discomfort?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: discomfort in stomach and extends upto anus but no constipation ,normal veg food this discomfort is for more then 2 months causes?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More clinical details required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
Discomfort in stomach commonly occurs due to indigestion.
I would like to have more details.
Is the discomfort associated with regurgitation, bloating or feeling of fullness?
Is the discomfort associated with food intake i.e. increases on having food?
Is there associated diarrhea?
Have you ever passed black colored stools?

Kindly, let me know these points. I will be able to help you better.

Thanks
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 24 hours later
dear doctor,
Thanks for the reply
1.I have not passed black stools.
2.The discomfort starts after passing the stools.
3.But if i eat IDLI Or DOSAI for my breakfast the discomfort increases.
4.I tried eating curd rice for my break fast i did not feel the discomfort.
I am a heart patient undergone CABG in 2009 and allergic to qunine(spelling i am not sure) drugs.
I have never touched alchol in my lifetime and i am a T totller with clean healthy habits and also a m 100% vegetarian.
kindly advice me
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Upper GI endoscopy required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

Discomfort after consuming food (idli and dosa) can be due to gastric ulcer.
However, examination of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) is required to diagnose the condition.
An upper GI endoscopy is indicated to examine the upper GIT.

I would suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist for examination of the GIT.
In case any ulcer is detected, medical treatment would have to be started.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 7 hours later
Thanks doctor and will the GI will it be painful should i inform my cardiology doctor before undergoing this test.
without this test assuming there is gastric ulcer can you suggest some basic medicine so that i can try it out .
what are the foods i can take
regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upper GI endoscopy will have no bad effect on CVS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
Upper GI endoscopy is a safe procedure.
It will not have any deleterious effect on the cardiovascular system (CVS).
However, if you want to consult your cardiologist, it will cause no harm.

It is not advisable to begin with ulcer medication before the diagnosis.
However, if you are facing problem of regurgitation or reflux, you can begin with a group of drugs called proton pump inhibitors empty stomach before breakfast.

Regarding the type of food- light food, less spicy, less oily foods taken well in time will do you good.

Consult your gastroenterologist as soon as possible.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D