What causes stomach discomfort with history of sleeve gastrectomy?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in GERD
Question: I had a sleeve gastrectrecotmy in 2012. As of late I have experienced when eating discomfort near the heart. Today when I bent down to fix something, it felt like my stomach twisted and it cause me quite a bit of discomfort. I also now feel like food is in my esophagus and is mimicking GERD. Is this something to be expected this long post surgery? If not, what is the recommended action to take?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries needs little precaution

Detailed Answer:
thank you for asking
Sleeve gastrectomy, a type of bariatric surgery is quite rare and is performed in only 3% of cases, involves surgical resection of the greater curvature of the body and fundus of the stomach to leave only about 15% of the original gastric volume (60 to 100 cc), thus creating a restrictive physiology . It is often performed on extremely obese patients where the risks of a RGYB or duodenal switch (described below) are felt to be too high. While in many centers it is used as a stand-alone technique, it may be an element of a 2-part procedure in which patients first undergo sleeve gastrectomy and later convert to an RYGB or duodenal switch if the desired weight loss is not achieved.
Now the trouble you mentioned is quite a classic complication of GERD and just needs diet and lifestyle modifications. as your stomach is hardly 100 ml in volume 15 times less than of a normal adult so a little over eating can present this way. Jut reduce the size of the meal and increase the frequency of it. Take some proton pump inhibitors and avoid chocolates and tomatoes and spices increase the gap between meals and lying down. take some antispasmodics for the pain.
Nut shell no worries. It happens. and just needs diet lifestyle modifications and is nothing to worry about.
I hope it helps.Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Khan