What causes stomach discomfort and nausea?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I am having an unusual problem since past 1 year. Whenever I eat outside in a restaurant or in a party or even at my friends place (home made food), I am not able to sleep the whole night as my stomach becomes very uncomfortable and I feel nauseating. This happens 80% of the time and I feel like it happens when there is lot of oil in the food. Occasionally I throw up or have to use restroom. I feel little comfortable only after taking a glass full of buttermilk or sprite pop. My Cholesterol level is in the border and triglycerides or little high. Could this be the reason? I never have any problem with food made by my wife even when oil content is more or when eating home made sweets.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reflux/IBS/gallbladder issues to rule out...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

Your symptoms are suggestive for possible:
- reflux
- IBS
- gallbladder problems.

I need to know if you have done any abdominal echo so far? I need to know the condition of your gallbladder. Sometimes, sludge or inflammation/infection/stones can cause the same symptoms as you are having now.

For the moment, I advise to:
- avoid foods high in fat/spicy/chilly/processed/fried
- if no echo so far, should schedule an immediate abdominal ultrasound; discuss it further with your doctor
- take antacids after meal
- increase water intake and physical activity

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist