What causes stomach discomfort after a endoscopy?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband just had esophageal bleeding so Dr treated with endoscopy and laser treatment to close the spots. They did not test him for H Pylori. It has been a few days he was discharged.
Since he lost so much blood, he started to taking iron pills and Vit B, etc.
He was mentioning that his stomach quizzes. Could you tell us why this symptoms occurring? Anything he should be cautious after laser treatment?
Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello & thank you for submitting your question.

I am sorry to hear that your husband has been experiencing these symptoms. It is unclear what you mean by "his stomach quizzes." Stomach discomfort may be related to a variety of causes. Most often, this is due to localized irritation/inflammation of the stomach lining (gastritis) which could be caused by a number of issues, such as recent iron pill ingestion, dehydration, or infection such as with Helicobacter pylori. It is difficult to definitively diagnose stomach discomfort without a proper physical examination. However, in the meantime, he should make sure to take his iron pills with plenty of food, never on an empty stomach. Good hydration is important also.

Regarding care after laser treatment, it is best to follow any post-procedural care instructions which may have been provided by the doctor and to eat meals which are not too extreme in temperature and are generally soft and easily digested.

Test for H. pylori can be performed with and without a biopsy. It would be reasonable to check with the treating physician to see what the endoscopic findings were in the stomach and to make sure there was no gastric tissue sent for pathologic examination. It would also be reasonable to bring these concerns about stomach discomfort to the attention of the treating physician as well.

Sincerely,
Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar