What causes stomach cramps and diarrhea after eating?

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor,

Within the last while I have been having stomach trouble quite a bit and it seems to be getting more frequent. I get attacks of stomach cramps and diarrhea around an half an hour to an hour after eating. My stomach would be sensitive for a few days after I get these attacks but would then revert back to normal for a while until the next attack. Sometimes during these episodes I would get just the stomach cramps following a meal but not the diarrhea. Also on occasion if I ate sometime near to bed time, I might wake up early in the morning with stomach cramps and again diarrhea. I would get maybe around two attacks a month and then my stomach would not be right for several days. I feel weak, tired and mentally drained when I get the attacks and have no real energy. I am on 30mg of Citalopram a day. I don't know whether this is relevant or not. Have you any idea as to what would be causing this?
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more information and consider these guidelines

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I had gone through your question very diligently and I really appreciate your concern.
Looking at your description it might be reacted to number of conditions like
Irritable bowel syndrome
Gastroenteritis or gut infection
side effects of citalopram

Here I would like further information for better assessment of the condition like
Since how long you are having these symptoms
your height and weight
Does it occur especially after any particular food?
Have you taken any treatment

In my opinion you should take pantoprazole or ranitidine group of drug with antacids for 7 to days
Get your blood test for liver function test and thyroid function test and stool test for ova, cyst or protozoa.
You may require a course of antibiotics under supervision, if reports be suggestive of infection
You should take plenty of fluids orally including fruits juices and ORS to maintain good hydration and counter any electrolytic imbalances.
Maintain good hygiene

Hope this answers your question
Please write back to me with these details so that I will be able to tell you more precisely.
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj