What causes stomach ahce with nausea and belching when on iron supplements?

Posted on Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in General Health
Question: I have been taking iron supplements, for a few months as my reading was extremely low, 3 months ago my reading was 23 ( I was told normal is between 20 and 30), and today as well as yesterday, my stomach has been feeling achy, i feel slightly nauseous, and am belching a lot. I have a headache and feel slightly breathless and can't get to sleep! I also have a slight metalic taste in my mouth. Could I be overdosing my self on iron? have decided to stop taking the iron, I have also had my blood taken last week, which is a 3 monthly test for my inhibin, so I guess, i'm a bit anxious about the result, it has been very good so far! My iron will be tested aswell. Is there something i can take or do to reduce the iron levels' if it's too high?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oral Iron therapy is very safe Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The safest way of taking Iron is through oral route. Only the required amount is absorbed and after the Iron pool in the body is filled up, absorption through gut decreases thus preventing systemic toxicity from Iron overload. In some of the susceptible individuals it may cause gastrointestinal intolerance in the form of nausea, bloating, upper abdominal discomfort. It can be avoided by taking Iron preparation after meals and avoiding taking it on empty stomach. Gastrointestinal symptoms can also be reduced by taking Iron preparation with milk, even though calcium of milk may affect the absorption of Iron to some extent. 60 mg of elemental Iron can be safely be taken without you being worried of Iron overload in body. Body has its own mechanism to decrease the absorption once Iron stores in body are replenished. Rest be assured that there is no cause for concern. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Dr. T Shobha Deepak