What causes stomach ache every morning?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Wake up every morning with a stomach ache that lasts all day until evening, then the next morning I have
a stomach ache again. I do have heartburn sometimes in my stomach and abdomen and also in my arms.
I take Metformin, Zanax and Miratazapine. I was wondering if acid might be building up through the night
but I don't wake up with a heartburn. My doctor doesn't have any idea why the stomach ache goes away
in the evening but then comes back in the morning. I am at my wits end because I feel lousy all day.
I just wish someone could help me.
s it a possibility that my meds could be causing my stomach aches. I started
these stomach aches after I lost my husband and they all think it is anxiety and
depression but this has been going on for over a year. I have purchased some
papers that supposed to tell you if you have stomach acid or not. My acid level
reads 5.7 both urine and saliva.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It might be peptic ulcer or acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

In my opinion,your stomach ache seems to be related with a peptic ulcer in duodenum or stomach.
This can cause a sharp or burning stomach pain.Usually the pain is stronger in the morning when the stomach is empty or a few hours after eating.
Eating something usually makes the pain go away.

The drugs you are taking :Metformin ,Zanax and Mirtazapine ,all of them can cause stomach pain so it is possible that your problem it is due to your medication.They can have caused the peptic ulcer or make it worse.
The diagnosis is confirmed with an upper endoscopy.
The treatment consist in taking drugs that inhibit the acid production of the stomach like PPI drugs ( Omeprazole).

I would suggest to consult a specialist (gastrenterologist ) because a stomach pain that goes on for over a year ,needs evaluation.
The doctor may decide to start the treatment with PPI drugs ( Omeprazole ) for 1-2 weeks and see if your symptoms will subside.If yes,it serves also to confirm the diagnosis of peptic ulcer or acid reflux.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have other questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati