• question-icon

What causes stinging sensation on the penis?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: urinary tip of penis stinging. 20 min ago I took haloperidol .5 for pain
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions so that I can help

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I need to clarify some things here:

1. Haloperidol is not a pain medication. It is for delirium, tics, schizophrenia, and certain movement disorders. Are you sure that you took the right medication?

2. Also, when you say you took it for pain, do you mean you took it for the penis stinging symptom or do you think it caused the penis stinging symptom?

3. Is the outside of the tip of the penis stinging, or is it stinging when you urinate? And when did this start?

I will await further information so that I can respond.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
i took it to reduce the stinging pain while urinating.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urethritis

Detailed Answer:
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Unfortunately, haloperidol won't help with the stinging pain. It is not a pain medication.

The pain may be from something that has irritated the urethra. This can be due to infection with bacteria, or sensitivity to foods or medications. Sometimes a yeast overgrowth near the opening to the urethra can cause irritation too. But most frequently, the cause is bacteria.

I recommend that you go in to either your doctor or an urgent care clinic (if you can't get in to see your doctor) where they will examine the outer urethral opening, and they should take a urine specimen. In the office or clinic, they can do a brief version of a urinalysis with a "dip urinalysis" using a special type of dip stick that can indicate the presence of bacteria. If there are signs of bacteria, the doctor will start you on an antibiotic, and they should send the urine specimen to the lab for a culture and sensitivity test.

In the meantime, drinking more water can help (even though it will cause you to urinate more, which is uncomfortable).

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh