What causes stinging pain in right breast?

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Wed, 1 Jul 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 37 and very obese. I often don't wear a bra when at home.

On XXXXXXX 10th in the evening, after getting up from reading I experienced a pain in my right breast. It felt heavy and when I reached to get things sometimes there was a pain that felt like it was coming from inside the breast. It was like a twinge/tingle. The same pain happened on the 11th but was less severe, and also on the 12th. My right breast feels as if it is heavier than the other one but there is no visible difference. I don't feel a lump either, The onset was acute. On a scale of 0 to 10 the pain was about 4. It felt uncomfortable and as I said when I leaned down to get anything there was a twinge. This happened also with other movements like crossing my right arm across my body. I'm now taking IBUPROFEN for the last day or two.

On Feb 13 of this year, in the same breast I got what felt like a stinging pain in my right breast which lasted all day and the next day it was fine.

I know lay people shouldn't google symptoms but I was wondering if you think it is cyclical (mid-cycle) pain? I've never had it before this year but I read that it becomes more common for women in their thirties.

Do you think I have anything to worry about? If it is cyclical why is it just happening in one breast? What should I do if it happens in the future? Also you think having big and heavy breasts (being obese) makes it worse, and should I wear a bra at all times, even when at home?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be musculoskeletal pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

The pain in breast is unlikely to be related to menstrual cycle as the pain is unilateral, mid cycle pain usually occurs in both breast and is dull vague aching type of pain or just fullness.

The cause of pain is likely to be musculoskeletal pain and breast congestion due to unsupported breast. Wearing bra is very helpful in adequately supporting the breast. Not wearing bra or wearing ill supporting bra may lead to such problems.

I would suggest you the following

1. Wear proper size bra during day time, you can be without it during night time

2. Hot water fomentation will be helpful in relieving the pain

3. Breast massage will also be helpful

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Take Care

Best Regards
Dr Shobha Deepak
MBBS MD
Follow up: Dr. T Shobha Deepak 9 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

I will wear a bra in the day when I'm at home.

Do you think that I shouldn't worry about it being cancer or anything?

If it hurts every month then should I worry? I wear a 40DD bra and so have a big cup size?

Thanks Dr.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Carry out Breast self examination

Detailed Answer:
Dear MS

A routine Breast self examination will be very reassuring. You can find the procedure online. A normal self examination by yourself will be very reassuring to rule out Cancer. A proper size bra will be very helpful in supporting the breast well. DO re-calculate your bra size.

Be in touch

Take Care

Dr Shobha