• question-icon

What causes stiffness in the lower back?

Posted on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having stiffness in my right lower back and when I sit and twist it is worse, feels like it is grabbing started friday went to urgent care gave me tramadol and methocarmodol, am worried it could be something more serious like cancer pain
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not cancer pain. Precautions listed

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Back stiffness could be the result of lumbar spondylosis or sacroilitis commonly. The pain would be aggravated on exertion and bending and usually relieve on taking rest.

Cancer pain is usually very severe, not relieved even with Tramadol. It usually needs high doses of morphine. Also the pain is usually present at night. Cancer is usually associated with severe l weight loss and loss of appetite.

Avoid bending forwards or lifting weights. Apply hot packs to the affected regions. Get Physiotherapy done in the form of Ultrasound therapy or TENS for your neck. These will help you immensely.

Hence it is unlikely that you have cancer.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
WOULD A HEATING PAD HELP CAN I TAKE IBUPROFIN WITH THE TRAMADOL RIGHT LEG IS FEELING NUMB ALSO
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen can be taken with Tramadol. Heating pad can be used. MRI needed

Detailed Answer:
Yes, You can take Ibuprofen with Tramadol.

Heating pad is fine but take care not to apply for prolonged contact to the skin which can cause burns. I would suggest wetting a cloth in warm water and applying to the affected regions.

Do get an MRI to look for nerve compression which may be the cause of your numb leg.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon