What causes stiffness in feet and abnormal skin texture?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My feet suddenly became stiff & skin developed the texture of parchment...no other symptoms...is there risk of thrombus?

In XXXXXXX my feet developt overnite the texture of parchment [thin, slick & stiff]; suffer no signs of diabetes or peripheral neuropathy, BP is under control [e.g., 130/85], correct CH ranges, etc

Is there any risk of a stroke or cardio thrombus?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nerve issue is the most probable reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Stiffness and skin texture change, without any other symptoms is rather a sign of nerve compression than any vascular issue.
You need to distinguish two things.
1. Deep veins thrombosis - causes swelling, calf pain, the limb is warm (like due to inflammation). Thrombus in veins can travel to lungs indeed.
2. Arteries obstruction due to blood clot - the limb become painful, pale, paresthesia and paralysis appears and there is no pulse palpable on the limb. Blood clot in the artery of the limb wont travel any further. It may cause limb necrosis, but can not cause any stroke or cardio thrombus.

Stroke and cardio thrombus appears in most cases due to heart arrhythmia.

Now coming back to your symptoms, most likely its nerve related. You may have some back pain as well with this issue. Neurologist is the right address.

Hope this helps.
Regards.