• question-icon

What causes stiffness and pain in the ribs upon movements?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Cancer
Question: I was gardening a month ago and my back got very stiff as I was bent down for hours I put antiinflammatories and the pain is better but it is still tender in my thoracic spine T5-7 but not on the spine on both side around it I had a bone density scan and blood test on tumour markers done last year and all clear just early osteoporosis and mammogram and physical check with oncologist this year and all was ok it has been a month with the back pain not severe but sometimes when i sit for too long it gets stiff and i feel pain in my ribs when i exercise it gets better could it be mscc? I am very scared. I had stage 2 grade 3 breast cancer 3.5 years ago and am in remission on tamoxifen and vit d and calcium tablets
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. It seems like a muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details.

So what you have mentioned points towards spasm of muscles and not a relapse of cancer. However, still i will advise you to undergo a bone scan as a part of evaluation and an MRI of spine. That will also relieve your anxiety. If it is only spasm, physiotherapy will help.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist