What causes stiffness and pain in neck radiating to upper back?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I often have stiffness and pain in the neck region all the way down to the upper back. This condition especially arises when I wake up in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please tell some details:

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I understand your concerns and I shall try to address them at my best,however,I need to know some more details for the same-
1)Since when are you having these symptoms?Are they progressing in severity or are static?
2)Is it associated with headache?
3)Do you have a history of tingling or numbness in extremities?
4)Do you have any past disease history like Diabetes,Thyroid disorder or any other medical history?

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with details so that I can answer this query well.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

PFB the details requested:

1) the symptoms have been there for over a year now. Lately they have not only been progressive in pain but also the pain is more often now

2) I do have the pain whenever there is headache but the pain is there even when headache is not there. Hence the causal might be vice versa.

3) No. I never had the same

4) No, there has been no such history

Please let me know in case you need any further information on the same from my end.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
cervical spine X-ray spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up and providing further details.

In view of your clinical symptoms,cervical spondylosis needs to be excluded.So,I suggest that you should get a cervical spine X-ray done,for now.
Sometimes,Tension type headache(TTH) can also manifest like that.So,start doing mental relaxation exercises like meditation/yoga on a regular basis and observe for the response.

Meanwhile,you can take Naproxen 250 mg on sos(at the time of pain) basis.

Further,Rheumatological opinion may be needed,depending on the X-ray.

Please get back to me after getting X-ray done.

For now,if you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak