question-icon

What causes stiffness and dull pain in the upper back?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017
Question: I have been noticing an increased stiffness or dull pain in my upper back area. This pain is very evident when I take in a deep breath in. the deeper the breath the more tightness/discomfort I encounter
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Could ne spasm due to cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic surgeon.
Stiffness of dull pain in upper back is generally caused by neck problems- like cervical spondylosis. Any pain or stiffness will be aggravated by deep breathing.
I suggest you start pain killers ,muscle relaxants , and physiotherapy for neck. If you do not feel relief in few days go for X ray of neck .
Thanx for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon