What causes stiff neck?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: One has a stiff neck....and so one turns his head left and right to try and stretech the muscles/unstiffen the neck.....you end a doing it numerous times during your workday..

Is this actually helping, or making it worse, and one becomes more and more awre of the irritation...
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Actually it is helping.

Detailed Answer:

Stretching the muscle will be helpful to relive the spasm. Actually it is helping. Stress reduction and doing hot fomentation will be helpful.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 days later
So when I turn my head left and right, or up or forward. Am I putting muscles back into place?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You actually stretching the muscle and relieving the spasm.

Detailed Answer:

When you turn your head left and right, or up or forward, you actually stretching the muscle and relieving the spasm.

Warm regards.