• question-icon

What causes stiff neck and radiating pain behind the ears and neck?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a pain in my neck, radiating from behind my ears and down the back of my neck. The symptoms are stiff neck with reduced ability to turn my head around. This condition is alleviated with OTC advil or Tylenol pain meds. This condition often comes on gradually and it happens often in the office, less frequently when I am working physically. ie. exercising, yardwork etc
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spine degerative disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Symptoms you describe are most likely caused by cervical spine conditions such osteoarthritis.

Herniated disc disease of the cervical spine also could cause similar symptoms.

It is necessary to consult a Neurologist and to have imaging studies of your cervical spine done ( x-rays and MRI ) in order to achieve a correct diagnosis of your condition.

Treatment depends on diagnosis and consists on NSAID drugs use, physical therapy and epidural injections in mild to moderate cases.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical