What causes stiff fingers of right hand?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
The fingers on my right hand lock a bit at the knuckles.I am 71.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Trigger finger may be the cause of locking

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and the common cause of locking is Trigger finger that is wear and tear of tendons leading to knot formation at knuckle. This knot formation leads to restriction of normal smooth movement of finger joints. The other causes are arthritis; it could be the degenerative osteoarthritis or Gout.
My suggestion for you would be-
1. You may send the x-ray picture of your hand, If possible along with blood report of serum uric acid.
2. Take hot water fomentation, regular finger exercises along with over the counter available pain killer like Ibuprofen.
3. In resistant cases local steroid injection may be given.

Hope this helps and I shall be glad to answer any further query.