What causes stabbing pain with constant watering in the eyes?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I AM GETTING PAIN FROM BEHIND THE EYE. RETINA PART , SHARP PRICKLING PAIN . NOT CONTINUOUS , MAY BE ONCE IN TWO HOURS OR SO , FOR THE PAST TWO DAYS, WHILE IT PAINS LITTLE WATER I GET FROM THE EYES.
VISION IS NORMAL AS OF NOW.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep a watch.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
The picture at the moment is not clear diagnostically. Periodic pain with watering shows a nerve stimulation.That could be due to various reasons. Also local infections can also give the same picture and things become clear later on. These two can be combined and one can have viral infection of nerve like herpes, where blisters start after 4days of pain. Again all this just. conjuncture,which gives us guidelines as to what to look for.
Before the picture is clearer,it is advisable to have painkiller twice a day to be symptom free and as the diagnosis clears,specific treatment can be offered.
Hoping for a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj