• question-icon

What causes stabbing pain in the abdomen?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a 27 year old that has not gone to the restroom to pass her bowls for about a week, week in a half. she now has a stabbing pain and throwing up. What if anything I can give her so she can use the restroom
Answered by Dr. Sunil 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give her Miralax(OTC).

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on this forum.
Most likely she is having severe constipation.As there was no motion from almost a week it could be due to fecal impaction also.When you have an impacted colon, your feces become dry and won’t budge, making it impossible to excrete them from your body. Impacted feces block the way for new waste to leave the body, causing it to back up.Hence causing pain and nausea.

However as off now give her a laxative like Miralax ( Propylethylene Glycol Electrolyte (PEG) solution).It is a laxative that is used primarily for bowel cleansing.The primary mode of action is through the osmotic effect of polyethylene glycol which causes water to be retained in the colon and produces a watery stool.This will clear her bowel.If not cleared by that then she has to go for Manual bowel evacuation by finger in which health care professional would evacuate her bowel manually.
Once the bowel clears up pain and nausea would subside.
Give her two table spoon of fibers daily.
Ask her to take a probiotic for few weeks.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist