What causes stabbing pain in scalp?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello Dr XXXXXXX Yes I have a problem. I am having sudden very sharp stabbing pains tothe top of my scalp intermittenly on the right scalp for about one week. I f I take motrin 600mg ,it will go away until 6 hours later and its back again. Health 57 year old female. only hormone replacement med. No rash but some tenderness to my right face and ear.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
most likely a cluster headache

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome,

I have read you history carefully.
the headache you are describing is most likely a migraine or cluster headache.
It could also be associated with Acute frontal and / or maxillary sinusitis.

To confirm sinusitis , you may get a PNS(PARANASAL SINUS) x ray done in consultation with an ENT doctor, if detected you would require antibiotics, anti histamine and Tylenol.

kindly let me know what your average blood pressure range is.

If sinusitis is not the case then you can use SUMATRIPTAN AND NAPROXEN SODIUM in acute attacks in both cluster and migraine headaches after consulting your doctor. though acutely 100 % oxygen is very effective in cluster headaches.

prednisone or lithium are used to prevent recurrent attack in cluster headaches.

in migraines, to prevent recurrence of the acute attack your physician may prescribe verapamil, topiramate or propranolol for about 6 months.

If despite abortive therapy your headache worsens or you develop new neurologic deficits like slurred speech, then please make a visit to the E.R to assess the need for a CT scan.

let me know if you have any other query.
hope this helps.
thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T