What causes stabbing pain in groin?
May be a hernia or arthritis.
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. From the information you provide, I have two thoughts as to the cause of your pain.
Firstly, this may be a hernia in your groin. Either an inguinal or femoral hernia. This is a bulging of the tissues through a weakness in the abdominal wall in this area. The pain can occur during activity and be relieved by lying down. There may be an associated bulge in the area that disappears on lying flat.
Alternatively, this could be the early signs of arthritis which is relatively common at your age.
I suggest that if the pain persists you take paracetamol and ibuprofen and see your doctor who will be able to assess you fully. This may include bloods and scans of your groin and hips.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Possible nerve entrapment of bursitis.
Thank you for the further information. Additional possibilities would be nerve entrapment or bursitis. Both of these can give sudden episodes of severe pain.
Nerve entrapment may be associated with numbness or weakness. Bursitis may be associated with some swelling or tenderness.
I suggest you need a full examination and investigation as the possible causes are wide ranging.
In the meantime pain killers should be considered.
I hope this is of help.
Dr K A Pottinger
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause stabbing pain in the lower head
- What is the treatment for stabbing pain in groin area
- What causes severe stabbing pain under the sternum
- Cause for stabbing pain in the head
- Stabbing pain causes
- What causes stabbing pains in my eye sockets
- Severe stabbing pain in groin what is causing this
- Stabbing pain in right groin
- What causes stabbing pain in vaagina
- What could cause stabbing pain on abdomen and shoulder
- Suffer fatigue, weakness, shaky, post nasal drip, poor appetite and...
- What is the correct dosage of clopidogrel?
- MRI showed borderline right ventricle dilation and left ventricle has...
- Tampon was left inside for prolonged time. Will cause any problem?
- What causes swelling above the base of the penis?
- Not having spleen. Is this the reason for me getting infections very often?
- Cold, cough, congestion in head and running nose. On septra. Could this...
- Took flu shot. Having severe chills and shakes. Could this be due to...
- Type 2 diabetic and toes have been amputated. What are the chances of...
- Deep cut between thumb and index finger. How long will it take to heal?