What causes stabbing pain in back?
Can be due to many causes.
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the back like painful stabs can be due to-
1. Lumbar muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibres.
2. Infections like paraspinal abscess.
3. Lumbar disc herniation, sciatica, etc.
4. Arthritis or ankylosing spondylosis.
5. Weak core muscles-Strengthening the muscles that support the spine helps keep the spine in its proper position and reduce risk of sprains, strains and lower back pain.
6. Vitamin D3 deficiency.
7. Renal calculi.
Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.
Hot fomentation and oral muscle relaxants can provide a temporary relief till then.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause stabbing pain in the lower head
- What causes severe stabbing pain under the sternum
- Stabbing pain causes
- What causes stabbing pains in my eye sockets
- Severe stabbing pain in groin what is causing this
- Can back pain cause shooting or stabbing pain?
- Stabbing pain in middle of back cause
- What causes stabbing pain in vaagina
- Pain in the calf stabbing pain in the back causes
- What could cause stabbing pain on abdomen and shoulder